SaltStack Config installation¶
VMware acquired SaltStack and its products in October 2020. Because of this acquisition, the following changes have occurred or will occur that impact the customers using this website:
- SaltStack Enterprise is now named vRealize Automation SaltStack Config.
- Starting November 2, 2020, the downloadable installation files and packages that are available on the Downloads page will also be available on myvmware under the vRealize Automation Product.
- Starting April 1, 2021, the downloadable add-on packages (i.e. AIX Minion, and SecOps SDK) that are currently available on the Downloads page will also be available on myvmware under the vRealize Automation Product.
- After May 1, 2021 the downloadable files and packages will only be available on myvmware exclusively. If you are an existing SaltStack customer and you do not yet have a your myvmware account, contact your SaltStack sales or support representative for assistance.
- The installation documentation on this site is also available at the VMware Docs Center. After May 2, 2021 the installation documentation will only be available at the VMware Docs Center.
- In addition to changing the download locations, the support process for existing customers is transitioning to VMware. See Contact Support for updated contact information.
This installation guide explains the process for installing SaltStack Config 8.3.0 from the beginning to the end. It is intended for network system administrators with the general knowledge and experience required in that field, such as experience working with Linux and the command line. You do not necessarily need advanced knowledge of Salt or SaltStack Config before installing SaltStack Config.
If at any time you encounter difficulties with the installation that are not addressed by this guide, Contact Support.
Using this guide¶
The installation process has three main phases:
This guide provides content to support each phase, as described in the following sections.
During the pre-installation phase, begin by familiarizing yourself with the overall system architecture for SaltStack Config and Salt if needed:
Next, read an overview of the installation process:
Then, refer to the pre-installation planning checklist for a series of questions you need to answer about your installation project along with some guidance about how to make key installation decisions:
After you finish planning your installation, you need to install or update Salt and the dependencies required for the SaltStack Config installer:
Next, download, transfer, verify, and import all files necessary for your installation scenario:
During the installation phase, pick one of the two installation scenarios based on your network’s infrastructure:
Guidance about which installation path to select is provided on the Pre-installation planning page.
After the core installation process is complete, you need to complete some post-installation steps:
- Install the license key
- Install and configure the Master Plugin
- Log in for the first time and change default credentials
- Accept the Salt controller (formerly called the Salt master) key and back up data
- Set up SSL certificates
- SaltStack SecOps configuration (optional)
- Set up Single Sign-On (SSO) (optional)
The rest of the installation guide provides additional guidance as needed, such as information on Upgrade from a previous version and Troubleshooting. See the side navigation for a complete list of the installation guide contents.