What’s in 6.3.0?¶
SaltStack® Enterprise 6.3.0 improves your overall ability to monitor your IT infrastructure and connect your SaltStack Enterprise network with the tools you trust. SaltStack Enterprise now provides a variety of metrics to give you more insight into your infrastructure’s overall health and performance. With different display options, you can choose whether to visualize data natively in your SaltStack Enterprise dashboard or in third-party tools, such as Splunk. SaltStack Protect 6.3.0 now simplifies your vulnerability workflow with new or enhanced integrations for Tenable, Qualys, Rapid7, Kenna, and Splunk.
SaltStack Enterprise system metrics and dashboard reports¶
In SaltStack Enterprise 6.3.0, you can better monitor the health of your system and track performance diagnostics. SaltStack Enterprise now collects over 25 unique system metrics, including data such as minion presence, database loads, event bus traffic, and more. This data can be easily consumed by the SaltStack Enterprise dashboard in the web console, giving you the ability to visualize and export system metric reports from a single pane of glass. This metrics data is also available in Prometheus or Splunk from a dedicated http endpoint.
Vulnerability import from all major vendors¶
The SaltStack Protect 6.3.0 vulnerability library is even more comprehensive after this release, further reducing the possibility that security vulnerabilities might fall through the cracks. In addition to importing vulnerabilities from Tenable (introduced in version 6.2.0), SaltStack Protect can now import and remediate vulnerabilities from all major vulnerability management vendors including Qualys, Rapid7, Kenna, and Tenable.io. SaltStack now has an official technical partnership with these vendors.
- Watch SaltStack Protect Qualys Integration on YouTube.
- Watch SaltStack Rapid7 Integration Overview on YouTube.
- Watch Tenable.io SaltStack Protect 6.3 Integration Overview on YouTube.
- Watch SaltStack Kenna Security Integration Overview on YouTube.
Splunk integrations and add-ons¶
Now you can connect SaltStack Enterprise with your existing Splunk toolchain. SaltStack has released a Splunk add-on for SaltStack Enterprise that is now available on the Splunkbase. This add-on makes it possible to report all SaltStack Enterprise metrics in Splunk and take actions using SaltStack Enterprise in Splunk.
For more on setting up your Splunk integration, see Set up Splunk integration.
User interface and user experience improvements¶
The SaltStack Enterprise user-interface became even more user-friendly in 6.3.0. Formatting is now more consistent across all workspaces, along with sorting and filtering improvements. Empty datagrid tables now display contextual help messages to guide you through initial tasks.
Prioritized vulnerabilities by risk¶
Not all vulnerabilities are created equal; now your vulnerability scans can tell you which ones carry the highest risk. When importing a vulnerability scan from a third-party vendor, you can see Tenable’s proprietary Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR) score and Kenna’s Risk Score to help you prioritize the vulnerabilities in most need of remediation.
Integration SSO authentication systems with SaltStack Enterprise just got a little easier. SAML users no longer need to log in initially in order to be registered as a valid user by SaltStack Enterprise. Instead, administrators can pre-create users when they configure SAML SSO.
Issues resolved in this release¶
- On the minion details page, filtering the JID column required users to input the full JID in order to filter correctly. Now the column can filter by partial JIDs as well.
- The Remote Unique ID Attribute Name in LDAP is now optional.
- LDAP prefill settings for Pre Windows 2008 Domain (2000 or 2003) are now correct.
- You can now hover over objects with large names to view the object’s full name.
- Viewing jobs with a large number of files are now batched, which improves the overall speed of the user interface.
- In SaltStack Comply, non-compliant servers are now listed numerically rather than alphabetically.
- Highstate displays now show accurate state counts on the job details page.
Please submit any feedback using the form at https://saltstack.com/enterprisefeedback. You can also access the feedback form in SaltStack Enterprise by going to Help > Feedback.